What if I don’t have a good choice for a trustee?

Many times this will occur because the person is an only child and does not have children of their own or a spouse has passed away. We are happy to help in these situations by figuring out who else they may know. Sometimes we will go broader and look into a CPA or someone from our office to act as trustee. We try to avoid that because it is better to have somebody in the family do it.

Don’t let a lack of obvious trustee be a barrier to getting something written down. Otherwise, it’s going to end up going through probate and costing a lot of money when you could have a good choice. Even if that choice isn’t perfect.

View all Resources