Can the Department of Health services come after me for money if my parents have passed away and they were on these services?

Yes. It’s a little known fact that the Department of Health services can come back and seek to be paid back for those “free” healthcare services that you receive. It is not free.

For many years there has been an area of law where we’ve done Medi-Cal planning, which is not something we’ve done here. Very recently the laws changed stating that if your property is in a trust, Medi-Cal is not going to go after it. This is just one more reason to have your property in a trust. 

View all Resources